Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Wig and Contacts for my Nightingale Cosplay

When I cosplay, I enjoy feeling like I am completely different looking than myself. This is probably why I like cosplays with some sort of full or partial face mask. I like the air of mystery!

That, and I have a bit of an obession with wigs (for cosplay only) and circle lenses.

WIGS

Diy-wig-Women-Black-Natural-Straight-Synthetic-Bangs-Cosplay-Hair-Full-Long-Wig
Synthetic wig ordered from Ebay.

I order ALL my wigs from Ebay! They are a cheaper price, but much better quality than the synthetic wigs in Canada and the USA. Not to mention, most have free shipping. I have ordered four wigs in total and have NEVER had a problem. 

For my Nightingale Cosplay, I chose to go black, even though I am very pale, because the whole cosplay is black. I had already pranced around in my white wig and pink wig while trying on the "clape" and it look like I was (a) a drow or (b) to anime like (not what I was going for). 

I like this wig because it has a more "natural" syntehtic look than say, this wig:
31-80cm-Heat-Resistant-Bangs-Long-Straight-Cosplay-Anime-Wigs-Full-Wig-9Choices
Synthetic red wig. It has a much more "fake" or "anime" feeling.
If you are buying a wig for cosplay, you should in vest in a wig stand, wig head (for styling) AND wig caps. I say caps, because they are easy to break and people like  me who have thick hair or a lot of hair will benefit from using two at a time.

New-Folding-Plastic-Stable-Durable-Wig-Hair-Hat-Cap-Holder-Stand-Display-Tool
Wig stands.
2pcs-Unisex-Nylon-Bald-Wig-Hair-Cap-Stocking-Liner-Snood-Mesh-Stretch-Nude-Beige
Wig cap.


Styrofoam-Foam-Female-Mannequins-Display-Head-Stand-Model-Dummy-Wig-Glasses-Hat
Foam wig head for styling.

CONTACTS AKA CIRCLE LENSES



All circles lenses and contacts from Asia can pose a risk. I highly recommend talking to your eye doctor before ordering. Many people have had problems with them. I am lucky and never have, but I am a neat freak when it comes to them and clean them and the case all the time.

I order from Pinkyparadise.com and Honeycolor.com 

Both are great sites and have great prices. I find that Pinky Paradise has less stock or has run out of the contacts I need a lot. 

For my Nightingale cosplay, I decided to by Super Pinky Blue circle lenses. I love the Super Pinky Red and Wine Red contacts before (the red ones were for my Sheik cosplay and the Wine Red were sent to me as a gift from Honey Colour!)

All circle lenses from these sites come with a free case as well :)

Super Pinky Blue circle lenses on a model.
These contacts are very comfortable (I wore them for a good 12 hours and never need drops and I have astigmatism and just had the plano version). They have an enlargement effect on your eyes.

They are great, but definitely research the pros and cons of circle lenses and talk to your eye doctor before buying. If your doctor says no, don't do it. If you choose to use them without talking to your eye doctor, it is your choice and therefore only you are to blame if something happens. I am not responsible, nor is any other cosplayer who says they use them!

 

1 comment:

  1. I'm just wondering about the black wig in this post, as I've found a listing on eBay with the exact same picture that I'm considering ordering.
    Is the wig the same as the picture, or is it different? Does it have the straight/wavy look and bounce?
    Quality-wise, does it lean more to feeling real than fake? And does it have that "oily" look most wigs/extensions have?

    The listing is for $20, and is supposedly of high-quality. I'm just hoping it looks the same as it does in the picture as it does in real-life.

    Thanks in advance if you do take the time to answer my questions. :)

    ReplyDelete