Saturday, May 7, 2016

Halo Chest/Shoulder Mounted Combat Knife with Sheath

My next project was to try and make another Halo combat knife using foam poster board and wood putty. I had done this before, without the wood putty but unfortunately my dog, Master Chief, decided to steal my knife and leave teeth marks in it!

 The blade is made of three layers, as is the blade. The hilt and the end of the knife is made of one layer. I cut into the outside two layers of the blade to make the line. It was glued together using hot glue.
 Next, I applied the wood putty to the areas where the curve of the blade is and also to the handle to smooth it out. Keep a small dish of water with you because in order to get the smooth effect, you need the water to smooth it out. Once it was completely dry, I sanded it with fine grit sand paper until I was happy. Also, I made sure that a thin layer of the putty was applied to ALL of the knife to act as a sealant because paint can eat foam, especially the foam in these boards! Don't use spray paint unless you seal it first, because it will definitely ruin the foam.
Next, I painted the blade using acrylic paint. The silver dots were done by making a dome with hot glue and painting it. As you can see I also made a sheath with pleather to attach it to my chest piece.


 And voila! A beautiful combat knife for my Spartan. I just need to paint the back of the pleather (which is currently white) black so you can't see it! Three weeks to Anime North 2016!




No comments:

Post a Comment